Stachybotrys Chartarum or black mold can be unappealing and can also pose potential health hazards in your house. Professional assistance should be taken if your mold problem has grown very large, using the necessary cleansers to rid your home of the issue.
However, smaller mold projects can be tackled using organic ways like plain distilled white vinegar. So let’s look into how to remove mold from the bathroom ceiling using vinegar.
Let us know how to remove mold from bathroom ceiling with vinegar.
How to remove mold from bathroom ceiling with vinegar
Serious health issues are posed by mold, which grows in homes, especially in the bathroom. People sensitive to mold may end up suffering from irritation in the eyes, throat, and even skin and lungs.
Removing the mold will give you a much healthier, safer, and cleaner environment at home.
- Existing allergies can be aggravated by mold,
- Mold is also linked to infections in the respiratory tract and lung diseases,
- Coughing, wheezing and multiplied asthma effects are some more issues caused by mold.
2. When cleaning mold with vinegar, you must wear nonporous gloves. Vinegar is an organic, natural material; however, increased exposure to it can cause skin irritation.
Wearing gloves is, therefore, essential when working with vinegar to protect your skin.
- Fill plain white vinegar in a spray bottle – make sure it is not diluted with water. It would help if you had enough vinegar to cover the surface, which has to be cleaned.
- Spray the problem area with vinegar. Spray it generously with vinegar, so that there is enough amount of vinegar present to break the mold up.
- You do not have a handy spray bottle; a disposable cloth will also do the job. Thoroughly wet the cloth with vinegar and wipe the area affected by mold to soak it in vinegar.
- When using vinegar to kill mold on the bathroom ceiling, make sure it is not being sprayed on the tiles, shower, or unsealed stone else it may cause etching.
- Let the vinegar sit for at least one hour. It takes a while for the vinegar to work on the mold and break it, so it should be left for at least an hour before scrubbing the mold out.
- Use warm water and scrub brush to scrub the mold away on the area sitting in vinegar. Continue to work the brush off in warm water until you work through the mold area.
- A scrub brush will make it easier to break the mold, and will also keep your skin away from the vinegar when cleaning.
- Use a brush of the appropriate size for the job. A larger brush may be used to cover more area, and a smaller brush will be suitable for cracks and corners.
- Wipe the surface. Once the mold is dislodged from the surface, wipe this space with clean, warm water and let the area dry.
If the mold still remains, repeat the entire process until the area is clear of mold. Vinegar will most likely leave an odor as well, which will go away in a few hours of cleaning.
Vinegar may also be mixed with other cleaning products to enhance cleaning power. Vinegar is known to kill 82% of mold – so, if this is true, 18% of mold might remain, which may not be cut by vinegar.
Mixing baking soda, borax, salt, or hydrogen peroxide is an excellent idea to enhance cleaning power.
- Only one of these products shall be mixed with vinegar at a time, if it doesn’t work with one – try another.
- Never mix vinegar with bleach as it will produce hazardous, toxic fumes.
- If these combinations do not work, your mold problem is enormous, and you may need to hire a professional to remove it from your home.
- Protip: to clean mold and minerals off a shower door, apply a mixture of vinegar and baking soda, so let it sit for 10-15 minutes and wipe it off.
- When dealing with more significant amounts of mold, use an N95 mask. This can be easily found at your home or a nearby hardware store.
Follow the instructions on its packaging to make sure it fits your face tightly when cleaning a massive mold invasion.
However, this mask is not necessary for everyday cleaning or small projects. Prevent mold from invading back
Prevent future regrowth
To prevent future regrowth, spray vinegar and leave it to prevent future regrowth of mold. The vinegar is not supposed to be washed in this case.
Just spray the vinegar on the cleaned surface, and leave it to prevent the regrowth of mold. A spray bottle in the bathroom is also a good idea to spray it every few days.
1. Fix any leakage in your bathroom. Leakages can occur in your plumbing, can seep through the windows or even in your roof.
The problems must be addressed, and any spills should be cleaned to keep your bathroom free from mold.
2. Check your roof for any leakage and fix the area, which may allow the moisture and damp weather in your bathroom.
Any plumbing issues must be addressed, and the ceiling should be replaced or repaired, prevent water from spilling or dripping.
Seals should also be checked and replaced if they are allowing any dampness through it.
3. The area affected by mold growth should have controlled levels of humidity. You may even have to spend some bucks on a dehumidifier if your house is located in a humid area, or if the mold growth is in an area lacking ventilation and which remains damp to attract mold.
4. Areas with the potential to become damp must be ventilated. Mold grows in areas that are dark and damp, so allowing sunlight and air in such spaces as much as possible will control mold growth.
When cooking, showering, or doing laundry, turn on fans. Ventilation systems should be equipped with a kitchen, bathroom, and laundry.
5. The air conditioner should be cleaned regularly, as they have drip pans containing excess water. This pan should be cleaned periodically to avoid the growth of mold and blowing into the house, especially ceilings.
Before cleaning this pan, cut the power to the air conditioner. The water can be easily removed using a wet/dry vacuum, without any spills. Once the water is removed, scrub the mold formed on the pan.
We have now learned how to remove mold from the bathroom ceiling using white vinegar and also how to prevent its regrowth.
So, having read this guide, we hope you enjoy a clean and healthy, mold-free environment at your place!