One of the most dangerous areas for seniors, especially those with mobility limitations, is the bathroom. As a result, there are numerous home care equipment that can assist you when showering. A shower chair is one of these gadgets, which provides safe and dependable support for those with limited mobility.
Shower chairs are built of non-rusting, waterproof materials like plastic and metal. Slip-resistant seats and nonskid foot tips make well-designed chairs safe to use on slippery or damp surfaces. Some include hoisting capabilities as well as back and arm support. Others are made to assist with getting in and out of the tub. A strong shower chair, can assist you in maintaining balance and stability in the bathtub. Injuries such as bruising, concussions, and fractured bones can be dramatically reduced as a result of this issue.
Best Shower Chairs For Seniors- May 2022
The shower chairs listed in this guide have been analysed based on their mobility support, stability and comfort to elders and these products have been tried, tested, and reviewed to ensure you have no problem in the future.
Nova Shower & Bath Chair
For seniors searching for a dependable and free of fear shower chair with a strong grip, the Nova Shower Chair is an ideal choice. This model features strong and dependable arm supports, adjustable and comfortable back support, and a design that makes cleaning a breeze. Probably the best feature is that it can be adjusted in accordance with the user’s height. It holds up to 136 kilograms of weight yet remains a moveable alternative. This model is perfect for beginners because it does not require any complicated procedures or modifications for installation.
Customers say this model is extremely sturdy and the rubber tips do not slip easily in moisture to avoid unwanted movement while in use. High-quality metal with non-corrosive properties and moulded plastic is extremely easy to maintain and clean. According to one customer, the biggest disadvantage of this shower chair is that it can be a little narrow & uncomfortable for people who are overweight. It’s also a standard sized chair, therefore it’s not a good choice for tall individuals.
My verdict of the product:
Overall, I recommend this shower chair for the elderly because it is a top notch product that is really durable. This model also includes an slip resistant construction, making it super safe for adults. So, if you’re seeking an ergonomically designed shower chair for elders, this is it.
- It can hold a lot of weight.
- It’s simple to put together and adjust.
- Not suitable for much heavier or taller people.
Carousel Sliding Shower Bench
The Carousel Sliding Transfer Bench is a bathroom home care bench that assists with patient transfers. It is a high grade industrial product with exclusive options like an anti-rust finish, supportive chairs, and a simple swivel mechanism.This model’s padded seat can assist avoid skin irritation and damage.
It is a trustworthy device, according to consumers, with a supportive backseat offering ease of use and safety. It handles up to 150 kg of weight and features an adaptable system for height adjustment.
It’s also simple to put together and comes with rubber support that does not slip when encountered with moisture for added safety. The biggest flaw of this transfer bench is the shallow seat, which can make you feel unsteady if you don’t use the safety strap. Also, if you are a bit on the heavier side, be aware that this model does not have a wide seat.
My verdict of the product:
Anyone seeking for an easy-to-use shower chair and transfer bench for elders may consider this shower chair. What else do you need? It has non-slip rubber grips for enhanced safety, and this model has a padded seat for added comfort.
- This bench can hold up to 330 pounds.
- This transfer bench is simple to use and put together.
- The seat on this transfer bench is shallow and can be a little tight.
Platinum Health Store Shower Chair
This shower chair is a revolving style that offers ease of use and safety. This shower chair has a totally enclosed padded seat that protects the cushioning from becoming wet. For enhanced comfort, it has two upholstered arm grips and seat.
Its swivel function is a key advantage, and it is extremely safe and useful for aged people with limited movement. All you have to do is press one button that activates the system, and you may rotate 360 degrees.
Customers say this model is simple to put together and operate. Its design also has the potential to make the transfer process safer for seniors and carers. It also has a good weight capability, holding up to 310 pounds. The sole disadvantage of this type is that it is more pricey than the majority of shower chairs available but it offers high quality properties so its worth the money.
My verdict of the product:
Finally, because this shower chair can spin 360 degrees without jeopardising your safety, it is ideal for anyone seeking a secure and dependable shower chair with a moveable design.
- It’s simple to use.
- This model is quite relaxing.
- Not affordable for everyone
Drive Medical RTL 12505
The Drive Medical TRL 12505 is a cost-effective alternative for seniors with amazing qualities. This simple-to-assemble variant, for example, features holes in the seat surface to avoid water from gathering around it. This will prevent foam from accumulating and will make the washing process a lot simpler.
Customers praise the device’s features, like managing the seat according to the user’s height. This type is light and saves space without sacrificing its weight capacity, which is around 160 kilograms. Also, the slip resistant base on this shower chair can help avoid slipping.
The biggest disadvantage of this shower chair is that it does not provide the same level of comfort as premium ones. This style also lacks the durability of aluminum-framed shower seats.
My verdict of the product:
To summarise, I recommend this item to anyone looking for a low-cost shower chair for elders. You can effortlessly modify the height with this gadget, and it’s easy and simple to maintain.
- The weight capacity of this shower chair is superb.
- It is a portable and lightweight solution.
- Not durable as compared to other similar products on the market
EZ2Care Shower Bench
If you have a small shower or bathtub, the Ez2Care Shower Bench is a great compact solution. This model is the ideal choice for persons with modest mobility issues because it provides economical help. It does not, however, offer the same amount of comfort as the other choices on this list.
According to customers, it is extremely sturdy, even if it comes at a lower price than its competitors. It’s composed of high-quality metal with a rust-resistant finish. A moulded plastic anti-slip seat is also included.
Furthermore, the construction of this shower bench prevents water from collecting around it. The absence of back and arm support is the device’s biggest flaw, making it less safe and pleasant than comparable shower chairs.
My verdict of the product:
Overall, this device is ideal for seniors searching for a small shower chair. This type is both lightweight and compact, as well as a cost-effective solution.
- Its design makes cleaning a breeze.
- It has a rust-resistant finish for added durability.
- It is devoid of back and arm support.
The shower chairs on this list are made by reputable, transparent companies with a solid safety record. We excluded chairs with numerous consumer complaints about their durability, safety, or longevity.
- Static or moveable: Shower chairs can weigh up to 10 pounds. They could also be difficult to get into and out of the tub. Determine whether you want a stationary shower chair or one that can be moved about and utilised in different locations.
- Transfer bench: It can be tough to get into and out of a bathtub. Some shower chairs come with built-in transfer benches for increased stability. You may not need a transfer bench if you have a walk-in shower stall. Most conventional bath chairs have a weight capacity of between 250 and 400 pounds. Shower chairs for bariatric patients may normally support up to 550 pounds.
- Design: Shower chairs with height-adjustable legs are common. Look for a chair with a seat height that allows your feet to stay flat and steady on the floor. A chair with a seat that is too low to the ground for your height should be avoided. It can be difficult to get in and out of a seat that is excessively low. If you’re under 5 feet tall, a chair with a seat height of 12 to 16 inches may be the most comfortable for you. You could prefer a shower chair with a seat height of 18 to 20 inches if you’re 6 feet tall or taller.
- Comfort & stability: Wheeled bath chairs are available on the market. However, for persons with mobility challenges, this may not be sufficient. Look for a shower seat with large or giant non slip suction cup feet if this is a problem. It is critical that you are comfortable while bathing. Consider your personal preferences. Instead of being flat, some seats are curved. Others may have padded seats and backs. Trying out a few different styles will help you figure out which one is right for you.
This list is specially formulated to showcase the best shower chairs for seniors to ensure you invest in an ideal, supportive and comfortable shower chair, so you make a better-informed buying decision based on a sound judgement of the product you want to buy.
What are the prices of shower chairs?
Shower chairs can cost anything from $25 to $300 or more. The overall cost is affected by the type of chair, weight capacity, and other features.
Are shower chairs covered by insurance?
Shower chairs purchased for home usage are typically not covered by most insurance plans. Your insurance provider may reimburse the cost of a shower chair if you use it in a facility like a nursing home or hospital.
Is it necessary for me to clean my shower chair?
In general, rinse all soap from the chair after each usage and dry it well with a towel. When not in use, remove the chair from the shower to avoid problems and deterioration due to humidity.
Are shower chairs difficult to put together?
While it varies for each chair, most shower chairs are made to be simple and quick to put together without the use of equipment. Instruction books and videos can assist you in assembling the chair with minimal effort.
What should the height of my shower chair be?
When the senior’s knees are bent at 90 degrees, their feet should rest flat on the floor on a shower chair. You can get an indication of this height by measuring from the back of the person’s knees to the floor.